Getting Docker up and running on Linode with Ubuntun 16.04 LTS
There’re no easy tutorials or documentation about how to setup Docker on Linode, because Linode images come with their custom Linux Kernel installed, and Docker requires AUFS that is part of the linux-image-extra-* packages. So I have to install a Distribution-Supplied Kernel and enable it in order to run Docker on Linode.
I tried a several methods, and this are methods or steps what I have found to get Docker up and running successfully on Linode.
- Create a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS image by clicking Deploy an Image in the Dashboard page.
- Follow the instructions to setup the image in this tutorial https://www.linode.com/docs/getting-started.
- Install custom Distribution-Supplied Kernel by following the steps in this tutorial https://www.linode.com/docs/tools-reference/custom-kernels-distros/run-a-distribution-supplied-kernel-with-kvm
- Install Docker for the Ubuntu image by following the steps in the Docker offical documentation, https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/linux/ubuntu/
- And finally securely setup the Ubuntu image to ensure you have harden your server. https://www.linode.com/docs/security/securing-your-server
- That’s all and good luck ;)